Sunday, July 18, 2010

Scurrilous Lies

Dear Friends,

Here is a letter to the editor that I sent to the San Jose Mercury this morning that I thought you might be interested in reading.

What you might not know about me is that I am a huge baseball fan - season tickets at Giants games for over 30 years (at Candlestick and now AT&T). When I was a very young child, there were no major league baseball teams on the West Coast. Because of Jackie Robinson, my first life hero, I became a Brooklyn Dodger fan. I took a strong interest in the plight of a young baseball player facing prejudice and true racism while simply trying to play baseball.

It is because of this background, I find it particularly insulting that the media would allow these false charges about the Tea Party Movement to stand without editorials defending the right of individuals to speak out - even if they do not agree with the message. The media must realize that the accusation of racism is a callous effort to undermine the voice of 60% of Americans (in latest ABC/Washington Post poll) who do not trust Barack Obama.

Richard

P.S. I did switch to being a Giants fan immediately in 1958 when they moved to San Franciso.

________________________________________
HERE IS MY LETTER TO THE EDITOR:


Dear Editor.

The accusations of racism in the Tea Party Movement by the NAACP and media editorials are nothing but scurrilous lies. What do the issues that the Tea Party Movement protests have to do with race? Absolutely nothing. As someone whose first life hero was Jackie Robinson, I have never heard or seen a racist comment or poster at a tea party event.

The Tea Party Movement opposes stimulus packages, bailouts, ObamaCare, government spending, high taxation, deficit spending, and a burgeoning national debt. What do any of these issues have to do with race or racism? The charge of racism in the Tea Party Movement is a fraud perpetrated by those who are using diversionary tactics to attempt to deflect attention away from the many failures of the Obama administration.

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment